I put this here as suggested by Liz. Thank you!
Please feel free to share what you do when you crave to go back to the game.
Here is what I wrote:
- I try to accept the feelings/cravings, but not act on them. I can't game no matter what my mind is telling me. And this is something I had to make a conscious decision about. Awareness is the key and for so long I didn't have that awareness at all. I thought I could handle the game, over and over...and failed every time.
- I work the steps, doing recovery reading. I try to do something everyday. I think with any addiction we have to NOT be lazy, but work on ourselves all the time. It's not easy and I am still struggling badly with getting back into my real life, but at least I'm trying and not hiding from it.
- I tell myself I can stay away from the game today, and then I can always play tomorrow. ONE DAY AT A TIME works for me so far!
- I share here at OLGA and HELP a friend in need, a newcomer, anyone!
- I attend real life 12-step meetings (in aa)
- I step away from the computer. (if it gets really bad) Being aware of my general online time.
- I count the days I have free from game, and I quit on Valentine's day and want to keep that as the day I left SL behind me. And I remember the great support I got from my therapist and friends.
- I tell myself that I really REALLY want my REAL LIFE instead of Second Life.
I KNOW I was sick and miserable in the game, why would things be different this 5th time??? (or more) I can more and more spot when the disease/addiction is talking instead of the real self. The only way to keep me aware of my addiction, is to keep working on my recovery. I couldn't do it my way. I pray for guidance and to remain game-free. For me there's no middle way.
Basically this is what helps me the most right now.