Make Christian references optional

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jack Target
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 6 months ago
OLGA member
Joined: 09/03/2007 - 3:35pm
Make Christian references optional

This website has a fantastic goal - to give peoples' lives back to them. Christians are very motivated to help others, and this is marvellous.

However, the 12-step Christian pathway to beating gaming addiction could be offered alongside a non-Christian pathway. Such pathways are bound to exist to tackle drug addictions, for example.

Giving people the option is sure to:

> Attract a greater diversity of people to use this website.
> Make it a recognised authority by more professionals.
> Convert more people to God over time because they can always switch to the 'Christian option', which I am sure is excellent.

Once again, I think those running this website are very noble and good. My intension is to offer constructive criticism.

SnowWhite
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 1 month ago
OLG-Anon member
Joined: 11/16/2007 - 12:04pm
Re: Make Christian references optional

we are currently that way - we offer higher power in turn for God... ;)

"This is the end...." The Doors

Xandtar
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 3 months ago
OLGA member
Joined: 04/09/2003 - 7:42am
Re: Make Christian references optional

We have many nonchristians here, and that's okay. Our primary purpose is recovery. So we're working on it.

Leveling in Real Life

John of the Roses
John of the Roses's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
OLGA member
Joined: 01/23/2007 - 5:12pm
Re: Make Christian references optional

Technically, to be a 'christian" you need to believe in the "saving grace of jesus Christ". Unless i missed something, the 12 steps make no reference to 'ol J.C. They first make reference to a "power greater than ourselves", and then only to "God, as we understood him". I used to be a presbyterian minister and now I am a metaphysical minister. I have worked the twelve steps and am in no way a practicing christian. You've got a notion referencing "God" with christuanity, which is not the case in the 12 steps. I am also a recovering crack addict, and in Narcotics Anonymous meetings there are NO references to Jesus Christ. Personally, I disagree with using the Lord's prayer in a meeting atmosphere, because we would then be promoting a particular faith. Religion has no place in the 12 steps, however the 12 steps are full of spiritual principles which we are guided by, including faith, honesty, openmindedness, and willingness. keep coming back!

"There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." --W. Clement Stone

lizwool
lizwool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 39 min ago
AdministratorBoard MemberGrandparentOLG-Anon memberWebmaster
Joined: 06/27/2002 - 1:13am
Re: Make Christian references optional

Hi Jack, Thank you for being here, and for your note. If you look in our general discussion section, we have a topic for Spiritual Discussions and a topic for Athiests and Agnostics. By the time most gamers get here, their "spiritual life" has been zapped, or they never did have one. All are welcome, here! Liz

Liz Woolley

johnsmith
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 5 months ago
OLG-Anon member
Joined: 06/24/2008 - 1:17am
Hi, Thanks for your comment.

Hi, Thanks for your comment. I agreed your thought. Drug rehabiliation is a multi-phase, multi-faced, long term process. To make a successful recovery, the addict needs new tools in order to deal with my network. ---------------------------------------------- johnsmith http://www.christian-drug-rehab.org

bgh
Offline
Last seen: 11 years 2 months ago
OLGA member
Joined: 03/15/2003 - 2:12pm
I'm a Christian, and I don't

I'm a Christian, and I don't feel that this site is particularly biased toward my faith at all. Jesus Christ is my Higher Power, but you do not need to share my faith to enter into a meaningful recovery at OLGAnon. I hope you choose to stay and join us on our journey of recovery from compulsive gaming. Warmest regards, Brad

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
-Alfred Lord Tennyson
____________________________________

Inspire
Inspire's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 years 8 months ago
OLG-Anon memberOLGA member
Joined: 07/02/2008 - 7:54am
tiberiu wrote: Excuse me
tiberiu wrote:

Excuse me dear friend. I do not want to question your faith, but a drug rehab is a much better place for someone to recover. God has given us a brain but we seem not to want using it at full capacity. I do not agree with seeking help in God for problems that we can fix on our own.

Then I guess the 12 steps won't help you with your addiction problems - to each their own. However, there is no denying that it has helped a lot of people to ask God for help with things they struggle with - thoughout history and through all kinds of hardships.

Until we are tested, how do we know if we will pass?

John of the Roses
John of the Roses's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
OLGA member
Joined: 01/23/2007 - 5:12pm
The 12 Steps are "a tool"

The 12 Steps are "a tool" among others that can help the excessive gamer make rational decisions about the amount of gametime he or she is committing his or herself to. Another "tool" is to post on the boards here, such as you have done. Another "tool" is to utilize the professional references section. Whatever tools you choose, we are here to help the excessive gamer.

"There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." --W. Clement Stone

Log in or register to post comments